Best of Month: AotY #1: Coheed and Cambria's "Vaxis II: A Window to the Waking Mind" via Roadrunner


Every year I’m always surprised at what my top five records are but never number one. This year I knew Vaxis II as well as Emotional Creature would be the two records that stood above all else. These two not only encapsulated my year, they challenged two of my favorite records of all time; Honeymoon and of course NWFT. When I listened to this to relisten to all of them, this was the only record that gave me goosebumps. I know you aren’t here for Beach Bunny, you’re here for Coheed.


I’ve covered half of the Coheed and Cambria records on this blog now, will probably get to the rest and consider all of them integral to my collection. Yes, even the bad one. They say records are a snapshot into the life of who writes them but the thing is they are also that for us, who listen to them. While I wasn’t aware of the band when the first three records dropped I can still remember discovering them through Rock Band and scrambling to download all of their material on LimeWire and listen to all those songs, exclusively, for about an entire year. I can remember From Fear nursing my edgy rejected teen heart after the girl I liked didn’t like me back. When NWFT came out I was just as consumed; as a queer kid who felt she couldn’t be queer without her parent’s blessing the themes of escapism resonated with me so much that it became my favorite record of all time until Paramore changed that in 2016.


This pattern continued through every single record. Claudio Sanchez’s words spoke directly to my heart throughout my entire life and this time was no different. Themes of changing everything for a sense of safety and sticking fiercely by those you love and who love you meant a lot to me. When the record dropped it was on the verge of me doing just that; shifting coasts and being with people who understand me a little better. I also took advantage of that but never once lost their support. I finally feel like I belong just as Vaxis, his unnatural condition aside, belongs with his own family.


Ultimately, I guess, it’s no surprise that this is number one. I’ve had a complicated relationship with Best of Month this year. I set out to do one album a day for twenty-five days. I thought I would be ahead of the game but no, here I am, writing the final two on the 23rd. The two most important albums of the year to me. Albums that will likely be in regular rotation for me years to come. To be honest it was hard, but I did it, another project to be proud of. As always if you’ve read the blog at all this year thank you so much. I made a lot more connections this year, got my first byline and was more proud of my words than ever before. I’ll be taking a bit of a break, probably until the next Paramore record, to recoup myself after working this hard for this long. I want to go even further in 2023, so here’s to the future.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year