Last Week in Music, 8/15/21 - 8/21/21


Between the Buried and Me - Colors II (Sumerian Records)

This record made me realize something; for me, BTBAM is not a singles band. Was really lukewarm on “Revolution in Limbo” and “Fix the Error” when they came out but here in the  context of the record I think they’re some of the strongest performances of the year. This album is going to be hard to break apart in terms of songs because I feel the way it’s strongest is in it’s uncut, seamless format. I think this could be my favorite BTBAM record to date.



Lorde - Solar Power (Universal Music)

I like this record a lot, it might not be in my top of the year and it’s certainly not my favorite Lorde record though even Melodrama took time to grow on me. I respect that it’s the record she wanted to make and I was really into the lead single when it came out for just that reason. She could have come back with some pop banger and it probably would have done well but it wouldn’t have been authentic. I understand the fanbases disappointment but you aren’t always going to get the record you wanted to hear.



Press to MECO - Transmute (Marshall Records)

Never heard this name before and saw a medium rumble on social media the day of release. I think there are some great moments here and the sequencing of the record serves it really well. Side A ending with a song like “Overdue” is a really great mood splitter. I think, while I didn’t love the songs themselves, they will grow on me and I will be returning to this.



Settle Your Scores - Retrofit (Mutant League)

Was pretty excited for this record based on the singles and I wasn’t really disappointed. It’s a band very much set in the 90s in terms of lyricism and even song structure, which, in the first half I’ll admit can be a little overbearing. Once you can get yourself past that though it’s a fun record and I think sticks to its own themes well.


Other Tracks

Alice Longyu Gao - Kenpai

Badflower - Fukboi (Big Machine Records / John Varvatos Records)

Boston Manor - Carbon Mono (SHARPTONE)

Doll Skin - Eat Shit (Hopeless Records)

Every Time I Die - Post-Boredom (Epitaph)

FigureItOut - Stay (The Kid LAROI cover, feat. Beau Bokan)

Foxera - Away from Me (feat. Kellin Quinn)

Guardrail - Social Meteor (Open Your Ears Records)

Inertia - Cry Me a River (Justin Timberlake cover)

Mayday Parade - Bad at Love (Rise Records)

Mel Stone - Simone (read my track review here)

Motionless in White - Timebomb (Roadrunner Records)

Movements - Panic / No Silhouette (No Good Left to Give b-sides, Fearless Records)

Phoebe Bridgers - Kyoto (remixes by Bartees Strange, Glitch Gum and The Marias, Dead Oceans)

Real Friends - Tonight, Tonight (Smashing Pumpkins cover, Pure Noise Records)

Remi Wolf - Quiet on Set / Grumpy Old Man (Island Records)

Santana - Move (feat. Rob Thomas, American Authors, Starfaith)

Save Face - GLITTER (Epitaph)

The Seafloor Cinema - Crash Nebula… On Ice! (Pure Noise Records)

Silent Planet - Panopticon (Solid State Records)

Spiritbox - Hurt You (Rise Records)

Vulvodynia - Banquet of Enigmatic Horrors, Pt. 2: Agony (Unique Leader Records)

WARGASM (UK) - Salma Hayek

YUNGBLUD - fleabag (Locomotion Recordings)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year