Mel Stone - Simone review

Last month we looked at the new single “Cat’s Song” by Mel Stone and promised to look at the single after that, “Simone.” It’s been a month since then and it feels like I’m finally hearing about Mel’s music on her social media responses and it’s well deserved. I told you that the best was yet to come and this track backs up my statement in a big way, let’s take a look.


Everything about this track grabs you and refuses to let go from the first second. It kicks in with just two drum taps (not to say the drums aren’t huge on the track overall) then goes into an incredible riff and danceable bass line. That bass plays a huge part in this song in a similar way that percussion did in “Cat’s Song” as well. All this and the lyricism hits so hard. The opening line of this thing is;


“You fuck me up like a horror story when you want to be sincere.”


To be honest, that line feels like it’s hitting you like a horror story. This is then followed by the Twitter-promised “I’d bottom for you” line. The entire picture these lyrics paint hits with such an impact, especially with Mel’s delivery and the harmonies behind it. The chorus is so short and simple;


“I’ll smile for the time I stare at ceilings alone, but I’m still not sure what to tell Simone.”


Which has been just glued in my head for a month now and I’m sure everyone listening will have the same thing happen to them.


The second half of the second verse has this wonderful whistle-like backing vocal as the leads get more intense, almost angrier before becoming the most somber that they are all track long on the next chorus, which offers a slightly altered lyric.


I do not want to spoil any of the lyrics in the section after that chorus. It has a nice little guitar picking section with some pretty huge quotables that really come together nicely and trust me there is a line here that will hit you every time. Not even just because of what it says but also the way it's said.


There’s a guitar solo section here that’s preceded by a “woo” that kind of took me out of the song on the first few listens but giving it the chance I think it adds to just how passionate this whole performance is. If you liked that intro riff as much as I did, it is only extended and exaggerated here and makes for a good pay off. From there, there’s more impactful lyricism, more entrancing guitar work and a grand finale finish that you have to be there for.


Not only do I think this is the best song Mel has offered thus far in general I would go as far as to call it one of my favorite singles of the year. The story it tells is so clear as day and the music accompanying it is so excitable and grand that it just makes for a great time for its whole length. Remember to stream and purchase this song on Mel’s bandcamp, we’ll link you below like last time and tune in next month cause we have that whole EP to dive into and more.


Mel's Links

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year