Review: Girl with No Face by Allie X released via Twin Music

This one and the one before might be shorter, you don’t get these in the order they’re released but I wanted you to know.

Growing up I was sort of ashamed to be into this type of pop in the same way I felt shamed out of being queer. In my thirties I feel freer to take a ride on the boat I missed out on but in the case of this record I sort of feel like I should have stayed home. Girl with No Face certainly has its takes on the genre and in some instances even comes up with something worth exploring. “Off with Her Tits” goes into body shaming, envy and unwelcomed sexualization and is a pretty good club single. It also, even being the star track here, fails to do anything past albums of this genre have done in a much grander setting, especially sonically. For every song like “Galina,” a cool ode to a music scene, there’s also songs like “John and Jonathan.” On which Allie tries to relate to her audience but makes them sound so ordinary it makes the non-exciting content of her own record even more apparent.


Which is another issue I take with the record as a whole; the entire thing tries to be lyrically dense but stops before it dares go anywhere interesting. I want, so badly, to relate to tracks like “Weird World,” where she explains it’s okay to not be ordinary as the entire world around you isn’t ordinary by definition. However I think the way she makes this point is so ordinary in itself I don’t need her to make it to me. I think this is a fine project, but I also think there isn’t much special going on here so I’ll be happily putting this one down.


Our score of Girl with No Face is 6/10.

Our favorite track is track 3, Off with Her Tits


Support Allie X

Follow me on MusicBoard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year