Review: The Legend of Angry Blackmen released via Deathbomb Arc

Remember the year end list where I said I’d review more hip hop?

The Legend of ABM, as a record, stands out to me mostly because of its production, the beats and instrumentals presented are really incredible. In no way do I feel most of these are supposed to be backdrops to any vocals. Songs like “FNA” have entire pauses for effect, really enthralling you into what’s going on instrumentally. Real horror movie-esque tension and very effective. The downside to this, however, is for all the gem beats there are quite a few which blur together on repeat listens. Tracks like “Suicidal Tendencies” and “Dead Men Tell No Lies” are fine songs but feel like they’re pieces of a greater whole.


I’m always careful when it comes to reviewing lyrics which don’t apply to me but in this case what I will say I admire is the messages around community and youth. The opening two tracks of the record as well as “Dead Men” later on call out the younger generation specifically to inspire them to make moves to change their environment for the better. In response to the Fantano bar, what I’m assuming is being talked about here is how we look for validation in critique of art as opposed to simply celebrating it and I think there’s a lot of truth and weight to the statement being presented here. Anthony also just holds an interesting place culturally as a white critic who listeners usually come to for his opinions on black music, which is fine, but is a line to walk on all ends of consumption.


Our score of The Legend of ABM is 7/10.

Our favorite track is track 4, GRIND.


Support Angry Blackmen

Follow me on MusicBoard

The AsterTracks Playlist on Spotify

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year