REVIEW: Princess Nokia's "i love you but this is goodbye" via Sony


Disclaimer: The following is a re-post from earlier this year. This review was originally posted alongside three others but, in the time, since posting those reviews allegations of sexual assault have emerged about a musician, I gave a lot of praise to. I ask that you always believe victims and give your support to artists who work hard and manage to maintain being an unharmful person.

Princess Nokia is a NY based rapper whose output I’ve been aware of but not very in tune to up to this point. Aside from the occasional feature I’ve never actually heard a project or single but on i love you she celebrates, not mourns, a love past. No disdain, no remorse, just keeping in mind the light given during a time past and the freedom that comes after it. To me, in my life right now, this is catharsis.

I wrote you this album for my closure.


In the grand scheme of their presentation these songs do just work. They’re a grand and inviting celebration; “complicated” keeps up on the momentum that the title track kicks off with a fun pop song that starts a gradual shift in the record’s sonic presentation. There’s a clear change from pop to hip hop that comes slowly, inches closer and closer like the inevitable end to “happy;” a beautiful closer that dares the listener to take pride in themselves, take pride in what brings them joy independent of anyone else. The Gorillaz reference, the huge hook and the sound of the crowd going wild makes you feel like you’re at the center of an award show.


I think the only thing I don’t “enjoy” about this record is the voicemails and private conversations. It’s not that I don’t appreciate sharing moments of vulnerability that were born out of the time that inspired the songs themselves, it’s more so that in my experience many genres are moving away from that because of the fact that it’s becoming a comedic cliche. That and from what I’ve learned running this blog, sometimes it's better to hold those things to yourself and let them fuel the art as opposed to showing the hand of it.


Our rating - 7/10

  1. closure
  2. complicated
  3. the fool
  4. lo siento
  5. angels & demons
  6. thank you
  7. happy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year