REVIEW: Dry Cleaning's "Swampy" via 4AD

Disclaimer: The following is a re-post from earlier this year. This review was originally posted alongside three others but, in the time, since posting those reviews allegations of sexual assault have emerged about a musician, I gave a lot of praise to. I ask that you always believe victims and give your support to artists who work hard and manage to maintain being an unharmful person.

If you like the new Paramore record you should probably check out Dry Cleaning. This was one of the bands Hayley Williams cited listening to during the process of creating This is Why. On their own terms Dry Cleaning has made quite a statement, finding some pretty big success in the post-punk realm off of their last album; Stumpwork, which was released last year. “Swampy” is actually a B-side of Stumpwork, with the original versions of “Hot Penny Day” and “Gary Ashby” being found on that record as well.

The title track has a slower, more abstract instrumental that almost reminds me of an MTV Unplugged presentation in its own way with the blues-like intro and then holding onto the momentum. As a whole this track was what I understood of this band from the outside looking in, it’s slam poetry to the tune of some gentle, indie goodness. When you need that type of energy the song just hits. Then when vocalist Florence Shaw throws in a line or two of an almost lazy singing delivery. That’s the cherry on top. I don’t totally understand what this song is trying to say, but in many ways, I think I’m richer for the experience in that way.


“Hot Penny Day” was remixed by Bolis Pupul and Charlotte Adigery, who released a pretty incredible collaborative album in their own right last year. Lyrically it’s a sensible song for them to put their stamp on as it talks about counterbalancing toxic masculinity with toxic femininity. They make it their own for sure, using some synths to make the track itself sound like it would be at home on their record and turning the chorus to a more electropop presentation. They also manage to completely shift the context of some of the vocal melodies by pitching them and having them fit in new spaces.


Nourished by Time, who I’m less familiar with, remixed “Gary Ashby” but it’s more so a blend of remix and cover. They recorded new vocals for this one with a much grander presentation and used the original stems as backing vocals. It’s a track I appreciate a lot especially as a new fan.


I was more outside-looking-in as far as Dry Cleaning went before this EP but between these songs and the instrumental interludes, I think I’ve been won over as a fan. I’m working hard to clear out my review bank right now so that I have some time to do a discography deep dive because I may have come from another record, but I think I end up enjoying this a lot more.


Our rating - 8/10

  1. Swampy
  2. Sombre Two
  3. Hot Penny Day [Charolette Adigery & Boris Pupil remix]
  4. Gary Ashby [Nourished by Time remix]
  5. Peanuts [demo]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year