REVIEW: Harm's a song you can't feel anymore

Atlanta, GA’s post-hardcore band Harm has released their sophomore album. This follows up 2019’s What We Know is a Drop, both of which are independently released. While I wasn’t familiar with Harm’s music prior to a song you can’t feel, I feel like I’ve become aware of them in a big way as a lot of people in my spaces and in the greater DIY heavy music community have been really anticipating this new record. I was with them as well in spite of it being territory I’m unfamiliar with based on the previews I heard of the singles on the greater record. I’ve looped back around to not being one for singles but with fifteen to thirty second clips being shared around in the modern age it's become my new way of sampling an album before it's out, now that it’s here though, I’m a little hot and cold.


I want to start out on a positive note by saying that there’s plenty to love about Harm beginning with their dual vocalists. These two have incredible chemistry, they play off of each other well, they harmonize beautifully and individually they both have wonderful voices in their own respects. Also I enjoy the way this band uses the atmospheric parts of their sound as well. There’s no synth, no overtoned bass, nothing to simulate the sense that these songs are surrounding you because there’s just no need, the way they write their songs is immersion enough. There’s also plenty of peaks in terms of highlights as well. My personal favorite here is “People Just Want to be Seen.” which both showcases what spaces Harm thrives in while also making full use of the Sarah and the Safe Word feature.


Where the record truly loses a bit of magic and steam for me is its sort of blind commitment to the genre it's actually representing. Looking at the band’s playlist of songs that inspired this record I can certainly see all of these artists playing into what was presented here but the issue is that’s all I see. While I think that Harm does an excellent job writing songs and presenting how those records moved them, it doesn’t really show me anything beyond that they sort of just feel owned by these influences. Which makes for a pleasant listen, don’t get me wrong, I just always hope to walk away from any project feeling like I have something to describe what a band sounds like beyond who they’re into. Still, I did enjoy this record and found a few key tracks to walk away with here but I find myself getting a bit fatigued on repeat listens. What I am always happy to see though is a band that the people come to bat for and if it’s anything Harm seems to have it’s just that.

Our rating - 6/10

Favorite Songs
  1. when i say it out loud, it falls apart
  2. You're Obviously in the Wrong Place
  3. All My Life, My Heart Has Yearned for a Thing I Cannot Name
  4. let's take back what's dear to you.
  5. People Just Want to be Seen. Doesn't Matter What For. feat. Sarah and the Safe Word
  6. I Fear Only That My Rage Will Fade Over Time
  7. i wish you could see yourself the way the rest of the world does
  8. But Then There's a Pause...
  9. Nothing Down There is What They Say
  10. this world is merciless, and it's also very beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year