Sister Sleep are burning up on new song

Atlanta, GA's Sister Sleep are set to release new song, "The Arsonist" this Friday. This is Sister Sleep's second single of the year, following "In Tenebris" from March. On this one the band mixes elements of emo, industrial and goth rock to create something fresh within their scene


"The Arsonist" opens with a fairly simple riff that makes way to a heavier setting piece that the entire track is sandwiched between. I think you see a lot of bands try to make this sound magical in recent years, but so few manage to make it hit like this. There is a distorted, cut short scream that bridges the gap between this and the first verse. It's quite the moment to open a track with.


An industrial and goth set up isn't usually my scene. However the low down guitar performance and these vocals absolutely hook me. The juxtaposition of the vocal cuts are impressive, the intensity picking up on a line about deafening silence and the way the percussion lines up with the final line before that chorus are the types of moments that made me fall in love with heavy music.


It's all just for show but you never give it up.


That chorus, by the way, is just plain good, catchy, I know in a sense we're all sort of sick of this within the realm of the genre but I think we forget when someone can do it this well it's something special. That's the thing though, it isn't "just one of those" there's a lot of layers here. Every time I hear it I catch some new production note and that's what I look for as a music fan.


That cut up scream from before returns as a mosh call to one of my favorite breakdowns in a while. I like how the title of the track suggests that the subject of its lyrics is the one who sets the fire, but in this section we're let in on something a bit different. It suggests to us that the person is the fire itself. Every lie they spread, every fear mongering action they take makes matters worse. It's poetry in that way.


"The Arsonist" comes out this Friday. You can follow a pre-save link below and don't forget to show support for Sister Sleep on release day. I'd like to conclude this by thanking Sister Sleep for supporting this blog and allowing me to hear this one early.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year