REVIEW: Kinneret's "All That I Know" via Tiny Harp Productions

LA based psychedelic and pop singer Kinneret Klein has released her third record; All That I Know. Being the child of two rabbis, Kinneret's music plays deeply into her faith which is an important context for this project here but not one I had going into the record. I myself have not been familiar with Kinneret’s music before this year at all and stumbled upon All That I Know from the single “Volcanic Rock.” Which I enjoyed for its low-key vibe and pointed vocal performances.

Off the bat I’d actually like to say that the lo-fi, vibey pop is actually my favorite part of All That I Know and the easiest part of the record to get into unconsciously. I think that Kinneret does a great job with these types of tracks and has a way of keeping them all interesting and diverse. Kinneret is also a good performer and proves their vocal and songwriting strength again and again on songs like “Learn My Name” where we’re treated to some heavy bass and all-around pleasant vocals.


The features on this record are all very well utilized and the way that each song with a feature manages to switch up the style to match the energy of the guest while chameleoning into the grander record is something I admire quite a bit. “Where’s the Forest” for example showcases a darker, more hip hop oriented track for Spider-Gang member MKUltra to appear and deliver a fun crunkcore verse. That and wherever Dev Lemons shows up I will most definitely be there.


“Where’s the Forest” also, however, sets up one of my least favorite parts of Kinneret’s music; her fairly unimaginative lyricism. “Forest” discusses environmentalism in a way that almost feels like it's blaming the listener for the poor-quality state of the world. None of that compares to “Blades of Grass” where Kinneret basically makes a “screens are bad” thesis and goes on some very pointed tangents about drugs, sugary snacks, also as a trans woman I’m a little put off by the “real girls and boys line.” What gets me most about lines and ideas like this is that I know that isn’t the sentiment and I know she can do better. In “Little Town” she presents that idea of wanting to see more for nature in a really interesting and intelligent way.


I think Kinneret really is a strong musician. I just think that she needs to work on things lyrically. I didn’t even get into “Big Tornado” with its really childish way of looking at anxiety and burn out. “Song too short, day too long?” Not very good. Regardless as far as songwriting, general presentation and world building goes, I think All That I Know hits a pretty good mark as a record.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year