REVIEW: Liturgy's "93696" via Thrill Jockey

At the tail end of last year Brooklyn black metal band Liturgy released As the Blood of God Bursts the Veins of Time, an EP that I really enjoyed for its tight knit variety and overall. technical proficiency. Most of that EP shows up as the title track to this new record; 93696. I, who am not usually a black metal fan, have casually enjoyed Liturgy in the past but after that EP I was hungry for a record and it did not disappoint. 


The first thing that hits me about 93696 is actually the use of a capella throughout the entire record, which serves as both a break from intensity and as a tool to disarm the listener. The fact that the record opens with that is a great warm up, but also the way that opening track "Daily Bread" builds on itself is a great tension builder. That vocal track into the ringing into the pounding keys and then exploding into the following "Djennaration" is perfect in its execution. Even the transition between that track and the next one is perfect with a quick second to breathe in the form of a calmer riff before building up again. The reason I point this out is because the reason I am usually not a fan of the more, as they say, "extreme” genres is that a lot of bands within them do not ease up sonically for even a moment which to me, makes their output very boring. Liturgy knows when to let go even if it's just for a brief pause.


The use of those breaks has some even bigger forms in interludes like "Angel of Sovereignty." In these "angel" interludes you are hit with an angelic chorus usually after some break neck moment. This is a little different than a normal "break in intensity" and honestly makes the whole record feel like a tour through the rapture. When both come together in perfect harmony, like in tracks like “Haelegen II,” it’s this band in their perfect form.


Another element that brings the sound of the record "off" in a way that works is the use of abnormal instrumentation, usually in the form of off time flutes that make the album sound like having anxiety. One moment you're fine and coasting through something incredible then the next one small thing could make you spiral. It keeps you on your toes and I really appreciate Liturgy for that.


My only true criticism of the record is the fact that it's a double album but even that, to me, is at worst a double edge sword. By the time you reach the end of disc one you feel like you know what this project has to offer, but even at that, all the tracks on disc two are of the same quality and it's still exciting to dig into them.


My favorite metal records are ones that are holistic pieces of art. The only true immersion breaking moment is when the split between the two halves of the album comes. Even at that, I sometimes forget where the split is. For that and everything above I think 93696 is an easy recommendation. In fact, not only do I think I'll view this as my favorite metal album of the year, I may even consider it an album of the year contender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year