Please listen to this new Jetty Bones record

Last month, Urbana, OH's Kelc Galluzzo dropped this new collection of songs to BandCamp and to streaming a couple of weeks after. Songs I Wrote Instead of Killing Myself is presented as an audio diary dating between 2020 and 2023 and as such, I don't really feel comfortable reviewing this as a record, but I do want you to listen to these demos yourself and want to put up this suggestion piece.

If you're unfamiliar with Jetty Bones as an artistic project it is, again, the solo act of Kelc Galluzzo. Galluzzo has been releasing music since around 2016 and lately has been focusing more so on her community than growing any sort of brand. I myself didn't know about Jetty Bones until 2021's Push Back which I really enjoyed for its mix of pop, country, emo and so many other types of music and it ended up being my second favorite album of that year overall.


If you also enjoyed the 2021 release you may catch some glimpses of ideas tried here, then fine-tuned on that record. Lots of mentions of the "shit show" from Push Back's "Waking Up Exhausted" as well as a lot of name drops of the album itself. If this is your point of entry for Jetty Bones, again, keep in mind these songs were written during the pandemic years and there's lots of talk about those as an issue as well. Also, I may be reaching but I think I sometimes catch references to other artists that Galluzzo has shouted out on social media before.


There was one double single released to tease this record. The first of those songs was "Ladder," which is a haunting piano ballad occupied with the weight of expectation and dependability. The second was "Poison," a low-cut emo and acoustic track where Galluzzo asks us all to be a bit more forgiving of each other. My personal favorite song here is "Currently," where Galluzzo paints herself as someone who just wanted to have fun making music and playing shows but fell down the rabbit hole too deep to a bouncy, acoustic pop punk song. 


There are a lot of songs on Pandemos, twenty-eight to be exact. That seems daunting but a lot of these are two minutes or less making the record just under an hour and feels like a breeze to listen to. The intended experience with this record is with headphones by yourself then broken into pieces as you want or need afterwards, and each song comes with its own trigger warnings on the album's BandCamp page. Like I said this is not a review but to show my hand here I will be counting this as an album toward end of the year lists and I wrote this because I just really want people to hear it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year