Albums we missed - January 2023

VV - Neon Noir (Heartagram)

You probably remember HIM, the Finnish “Love Metal” band that put the Heartagram on the map. Ten years from the final HIM album and six years from their final show thor vocalist, Vile Valo, has released his debut record as VV. On Neon Noir Valo actually summons his old self by creating even more of those classic HIM-brand songs. I wouldn’t consider this an album of the year contender to be honest. But in terms of novelty it’s nice to hear something new from a band I grew up listening to. I haven’t touched a HIM record in years but I can’t deny how important they were to me in middle school coming up as a music fan in my own right, so I didn’t want to just overlook this one.

Support VV

Cicada - Seeking the Sources of Streams (WINDIE Music)

I switched day jobs this year from subs to coffee, (exciting I know) and as such I have to get up really early some days. So usually when I’m walking to my bus stop at five or six AM it helps to have something peaceful playing in my ear. I had never heard of Cicada before being turned onto them from a podcast. Seeking the Sources of Streams quite literally sounds like its title. This record has the sonics and atmosphere of a walk along a river in the woods and for that it really fit a niche I need this year. There are a few of these records cropping up on my radar lately because I’m letting them in more. It’s hard to write totally fleshed out reviews of these, but expect for me to shout them out as the year goes along.


Support Cicada


Climb - Keep Me from What I Want

It’s funny how, now that I don’t live on the east coast anymore, I’m becoming even more aware of the bands in its scene. I heard of Climb via a tweet, and now I don’t remember where it came from and don’t have much to go off for information on them. I know they’re from Massachusetts. I know they are not a full time band. That’s about it. Most importantly, however, is that they’re a fun not-quite-thrash, not-quite-punk band that released this very short, (under ten minutes, what have you got to lose?) very good EP.


Support Climb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year