REVIEW: Angel Electronics' ULTRA PARADISE

Ada Rook, one half of Black Dresses, has teamed up with singer, songwriter and pianist Ash Nerve to form new group; Angel Electronics. The band self-describes as “brutal euphoria wave” and, to me, bears resemblance to certain pockets of MySpace bands; see I Set My Friends on Fire, see EATMEWHILEIMHOT!, those types of bands that had this euphoric sensibility that could erupt into a circle pit at any moment with no warning.


Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I came into this record as a Black Dresses fan wanting to hear more from Rook and she definitely didn’t disappoint. The guitar and bass she provides on this record often offer more than just a cool performance as they help form a constant contrast between fun pop rock songs and then dipping your toes into some hardcore. In spite of why I showed up, however, Ash Nerve really proved themselves to me here. Vocally they keep up with Rook incredibly well and have this beautiful, angelic energy to them. That and I can talk all day about Rook’s performances and the contrast she offers that I mentioned above but the lead songwriter is, in fact, Nerve, so they’re responsible for the core ideas I find so magnetizing here. All that not even to mention the keys and piano offered by them which I love so much that I find it hard to put into words. Even when you think you’ve seen everything this duo has to offer you arrive at the hip hop-inspired “RETURN TO THE SKY,” which shows up as a fun curveball that keeps things interesting right toward the end.


I’m not sure who to thank for the production on this record but it’s really something to behold. The entire album has this airtight presentation to it with every transition being so natural. The callout of the band’s name is not only impressive for a self-name-shout-out done in 2023, it’s also artful at some points, see the song “ANGEL” especially. There is, of course, certain trademarks of Rook’s projects from the behind the scenes aspects of some of the segues between parts to the final seconds of the record which remind of all the things I didn’t like about her last solo effort only this time done with some lessons learned and growth in technique had.


The sentiment presented on nearly every single track is so sweet, so sentimental, I really find myself floored by a lot of the lyricism here. Be it “PARTY GIRL” where Rook shows some of her irony-tinged lyricism describing herself as a shy and awkward weirdo who has fallen in love with someone who once felt so out of her league but she has an incredible bond with after going for them. Or the Nerve-led “ONE THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS” where they describe a lost love and missed opportunity by likening it to the Middle Eastern folk tales of the same name.


Every year in every month of January I expect there to be a little post-holiday lull where nothing too compelling hits streaming and we just have to wait around till the first big releases of the year and every year I’m proven wrong. ULTRA PARADISE is a gem in a pretty slow release period but that’s just it; I’m sure I’ll look at it in the same light the whole year to come as it’s a strong, compelling record as a whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year