pulses. made me break the "no reviews till New Years" rule


They told me “fake it till you make it.”


Back in June, Dumfries, VA’s pulses. gave me a preview of their new era by allowing me to hear “XO,” their collaboration with Zac Benson, a bit early and now that the year is winding down that track is coming back up in a big way as I decide on my favorite songs of the year. Now, they’ve given me another sneak peak and while it wasn’t supposed to be this way, it is! It’s another hit too but before we get into it I want to thank pulses. for making me feel like I found my place in this community. When I started this blog all I wanted was to have a conversation about my favorite music and now, I get to share yet another pulses. single before it hits streaming services this Friday.


The intro of this one grabs me immediately in the same way that “Exist Warp Brakes” off Speak it into Existence did back in 2020 while managing to stay so fresh and fit right into the new sound. Kevin delivers this spoken word intro with a hint of near irony in his voice. He really gives the people what they want, dropping an “it’s pulses. baby” right out of the gate and all his quirks and spoken out jokes really get me on the song overall. That is especially true of the final interlude, which I can in no way spoil, but if you’re a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog you’ll really want to run to that one. After the spoken word bit is an instrumental section that is everything I love about pulses. as a band; post-hardcore flair but makes me want to shake it in the club.


They got pulses. on at the club? Alright then!


Moving into the body of the track I catch glimpses of that quip as well, lines about EA and never losing are laced throughout and make a great entry in the catalog. All the vocal performances are something to behold. The flow in the second verse is a huge highlight and coming in clean after a screamed first verse and hook makes it feel like a real special moment. Speaking of, the hook being as heavy as it is while still being catchy? Something to really take note of. When they run it back with grander production and those backing vocals? Even better.


Leading into the breakdown we get a bass riff that has such an impending sense of danger, you are about to get fucked up, do not play with me. That in contrast with more of Kevin’s speeches makes it feel as fun as it is deadly, again, it's the balance that this band pulls off time after time that keeps them high up there for me personally. When you get to the breakdown itself it all comes together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year