REVIEW: Cryalot's Icarus

 

Kero Kero Bonito, to me, is one of the most important bands in the indie scene. From the outside it feels like a lot of people just view them as the band that wrote “Flamingo” and then write off the rest as probable other joke songs and I don’t really feel that’s fair. You can imagine, having this big of an admiration, how much I was looking forward to vocalist Sarah Bonito announcing a solo endeavor. I even had a Cryalot shirt a year or two before there was even a single out.


On Icarus, Sarah proves that she is just as capable a producer as either of her bandmates. Every bit of programming and songwriting is masterfully done. She makes vocal chops sound like an art form. The sequencing and transitioning from section to section of songs are so smooth. On “Hell is Here” we get proof of something I had long confirmed from two KKB live shows; Sarah is hard as fuck at her core despite her polite and shy demeanor. This project also satiates my hunger for something resembling KKB’s livestreams and Sarah’s DJ sets on tape.


In spite of all that, I don’t find myself going back to this one all that often. I think it really speaks to my enthusiasm about this project that it took almost two months to listen to it enough to write about it. I was really looking forward to this but the singles wore on me and my first listen wasn’t great, especially with that odd bonus track choice of an edited down song whose original version is just two tracks up on the EP. This was set up to be my EP of the year and yet it’s not even in my top ten. I’m disappointed, I just don’t know why and I can’t get myself to be upset at Sarah about it.


Support this artist

Follow me on Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year