pulses. gave me a preview of season 3

 


Dumfries, Virginia’s own pulses. have teamed up with Zac Benson to bring us the first episode of their third season as a band with “XO (Sold Out).” Well, to be exact, they will hit us with the drop this coming Friday. If you’ve followed this blog you may recall that not only did pulses. make my top ten albums of 2020, then my top ten EPs of 2021, I also released a triple album review where I talked about the three Speak releases all at once. Now the band has let me peek behind the scenes to give you a bit of an early review of their new single.

The track opens with a riff that really sticks with you in that there is a real progressive rock element to it and yet it is also very laid back. I think a major factor of what makes this work so well is not only does it come back up multiple times in the song, it’s totally isolated every time as it should be, it’s that good. Then the track explodes with the line;

“Time to wake up! Don’t be late!”

Prepare yourselves for that chorus because, trust me, you are actually not ready. I have had access to this track for a week now and in every moment of silence in my day-to-day I find myself singing that hook. That and the rhythm section in the chorus in general is sort of flawless in a way. It speeds up at just the right times, the notes hit you in just the right ways. I don’t want to give too much away but the line about your favorite song in the second verse is such a power move that I really have to respect.

With all of the full band stuff going on though, I think my favorite part is the outro. Right at the end we switch from pulses. to BD LCK with an entire fleshed-out beat similar to those found in the BD LCK catalog and the pulses. remix projects guiding us to the end. Something I didn’t realize I needed to hear on a track by this project.

I want to thank the boys in pulses. for allowing me to hear the song early and report to you all about it. As I said above, “XO” drops Friday and if you’ve been a fan of the band before you’re in for a treat because I really feel like this is their best showing yet. It is a perfect blend of the heavy elements of progressive post-hardcore and a chilled out relaxing vibe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year