Last week in music, 10/31/21 - 11/6/21


ABBA - Voyage (Universal)

First ABBA record in forty years and to be honest it was sort of a challenge to get through. The singles were just fine and the overall record is kind of just repetitive. A band like this doesn’t need to release a great record this late in their career but was sort of looking forward to this one and am pretty let down.



Bullet for My Valentine - Bullet for My Valentine (Spinefarm / Search & Destroy)

Speaking of being let down, God was this a big one. The singles were acceptable but with the marketing you’d think this thing was The Poison or at least Scream Aim Fire levels. I also feel like the self-titled status and the album intro really show a cocky attitude toward a record that’s overall really bland and could go on shuffle on Octane and no one would even notice.



Diablo Swing Orchestra - Swagger & Stroll Down the Rabbit Hole

I cannot for the life of me figure this record out. Every track is a completely different genre altogether from ska to electro swing. I’m not sure what this band ties themselves to and maybe they tie themselves to nothing but this album is for sure a trip to listen to, check it out for yourself.



Limp Bizkit - Still Sucks (Suretone)

I was very late to the party on this one and I’ve never really been big on this band but this was a cool record. Nice little mix of sounds, “Dad Vibes” was enough of a banger to check the record attached to it out. I’m hearing its a blend of everything from their career and I trust that to be true. You probably don’t need me to navigate you here though.



SeeYouSpaceCowboy… - The Romance of Affliction (Pure Noise)

This is for sure a band to watch. To me, this isn’t the record that’s winning me over but it’s still good in a lot of its own ways. They are a group that appreciates the deep cuts of an era that I grew up listening to but unlike a lot of the modern throw-back bands they are genuine in their sound and presentation. They pulled some incredible features here too, Keith Buckly on track one hit so hard.



Heart Attack Man - Thoughtz & Prayerz (Triple Crown)

This is a band I feel I’ve been late to the party on overall. I started here, never heard a record before but this won me over as a fan and may even be a late entry toward EP of the year. What gets me is Eric Egan’s ruthless honesty (listen to “Cool 2 Me” right now, like stop reading go listen) that’s laced with just bangers of tracks.



Wave Break - Puzzle Pieces

Want to point you toward the sophomore EP by one-woman rock band Wave Break. Just really good songs and it's respectable that it's all one person behind it. Definitely give this a listen and your support.



Dorian Electra - My Agenda (deluxe)

I like these hyperpop-aligned remix projects that are coming out because of the variety of takes they offer on the numerous songs that already had a unique voice of their own. I won’t lie I haven’t been the biggest Dorian fan up to this point but I always plug what they’re doing because I feel it’s interesting to some degree. I like a lot of these new takes and the features that come with them, however.



Pollyanna - Sugar Coat (deluxe, I Surrender)

Not going to say too much because this will be the subject of next week’s Monday slot but this is an EP I haven’t been able to put down for months and this deluxe edition makes it so much better than it already was. Please check this band out if you haven’t already.


Other tracks

Alera - SMS

collen dow - Sorry (Count Your Lucky Stars)

Dan Campbell - In Love in Various Rooms (Loneliest Place on Earth / Miscellaneous)

Extra Large Holiday Card - You Could Stay (feat. guardin)

Gold Necklace - Tootsie Roll (kill iconic)

Green Day - Holy Toledo!

Heart of Gold - Bad Habit (SharpTone)

Megawave - Slow Motion (feat. Chris Songco)

Silk Sonic - Smokin Out the Window (Aftermath / Atlantic)

Stand Atlantic - molotov [OK] (Hopeless)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year