Last week in music, 10/24/21 - 10/30/21

Black Veil Brides - The Phantom Tomorrow (Sumerian)

Based on the singles I was hoping this was finally the BVB record that impressed me but oh was I wrong. Manages to be just as, if not more, bland than their previous works. The instrumental interludes also add nothing at all to the experience. I’ll keep “Fields of Bone” on a playlist but they can keep the rest of this one.



Calling All Captains - Slowly Getting Better (Equal Vision)

Heartful pop punk with a gruff delivery, this a good and quick listen. Not sure what else I can really say here but give it a try.



Save Face - Another Kill for the Highlight Reel (Epitaph)

Sounds like My Chemical Romance and is even from the same place, but Save Face have a heart that is their own. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while and it did not disappoint.



Attack Attack! - Long Time, No Sea (Oxide)

The long-awaited return EP is finally here and made up of all the tracks released throughout the year plus one new song. I’ve been pretty vocal all year about my distaste for the direction this reunion has gone both musically and socially. I will admit in context most of these tracks are uplifted a bit and I even enjoyed the release but I still feel some of the performances are a bit weak especially on the vocal front. That and I just still do not agree with using the Attack Attack! name for this at all.


Boston Manor - DESPERATE TIMES, DESPERATE PLEASURES (SharpTone)

Boston Manor continues to climb the trajectory to being a titan in their circles. Every release sees them as an improved version of themselves. This EP came sort of out of nowhere with a pretty quick turn around from it’s announcement and I’m glad they snuck it in before 2021 was seen out.


If I Were You - A Decade Gone By

Speaking of Attack Attack! if you liked their old sound, or Asking Alexandria’s old sound, or miss I See Stars, If I Were You may be the band for you! The spirit of crabcore is alive and well right here. If this band were to come out in the heyday of the genre I have no doubt they would have been just as big, but lucky for us they’re here now.



Megan Thee Stallion - Something for Thee Hotties (300 Entertainment)

This was mostly a good mixtape but it was basically top-loaded. Toward the middle it starts to get very dry and repetitive. It was a collection of unused works though, so not too much an issue.


Most Anticipated of the Week: SeeYouSpaceCowboy… - The Romance of Affliction (Pure Noise)


Other Tracks

Adventure Club / BEAUZ - Drive (feat. Tilian, Ultra Records)

Beach Bunny - Oxygen (Mom+Pop)

Belmont - Bowser’s Castle (Pure Noise)

Berried Alive / Philip Solo - Blood, Tears, and Champagne (feat. Johari, Bluedrake42 Limited Company)

Cobra Starship - A Beautiful Life (Fueled by Ramen)

Crown the Empire - Dancing with the Dead (Rise)

Dayshell - Blindside

Famous Last Words - In the Blink of an Eye

Glass Hearts - Anything

Imagine Dragons / JID - Enemy (KIDinaKORNER / Interscope)

Mayday Parade - Golden Days (Rise)

One Morning Left - Beat It (Michael Jackson cover, Arising Empire)

Psychostick - Ghostbuster! (Ray Parker Jr cover)

Racoon Tour - Horrorshow (feat. Heccra, I Surrender)

Set it Off - Skeleton (Fearless)

Sunrise Skater Kids - Homeless Millennial (Boketo Media)

Underoath - Cycle (feat. Ghostmane, Fearless)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year