Heart Attack Man don't want your Thoughtz and Prayerz

Hi everyone, it’s me! Aster from Heart Attack Man and it’s time for a review of this new Heart Attack Man EP; “Thoughtz and Prayerz.” This is the newest set of songs from Cleavland, OH’s Heart Attack Man the follow up to 2019’s Fake Blood, though last year the band dropped “Notes App Apology.” A song in which Hammy shows they have no fuckin’ patience for the fake garbage that band dudes spit out when exposed for being monsters. On this record they show more of that attitude and much more.


The lead and only single “Pitch Black” is a sick post-hardcore song where you can tell this band were huge about the genre in the 2000s there’s even a quick lick in there that sounds like The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. There is a rapid-fire drum line that takes you from the first chorus to the second first pretty violently. The song isn’t all circle pit though it starts acoustic before throwing you on your ass then loops back around at the very end. Lyrically Eric does some cool word play presenting “rock bottom” as a shitty friend who keeps roping him into their bad decisions only to have them even leave him in the end. Based on the relatable wording and catchy hook this was the perfect single choice.


Listening to “Puke,” the opener you can tell three things; Hammy loves nu metal, Eric Egan is a great lyricist and he can be pissed when he needs to be. The scream that opens the song has some fire behind it and the band being fake tired to hit us one more time is straight entertainment.


The title track is some thrash metal with sick riffs, some screams and more of a pissed off  Eric.


“Thoughts and prayers, no one fuckin’ cares!”


The thing is the lyrics are really bare, but that’s just how pissed off he is.


The following track, “Cool 2 Me,” is sort of like the sequel to last year’s “Notes App Apology.” On both tracks Heart Attack Man does something only they have the balls to do, tackle the constant influx of offenders in this scene by pulling from the threads of their delusional stans.


“I don’t wanna say I don’t believe you, cause I’m supposed to. I don’t wanna say I think you’re lying, cause I’m uncomfortable.”


Is shit we’ve all read on twitter after the latest musician who “would never do that” gets exposed for some heinous action that everyone was real quiet about for the last ten years. Aside from Eric’s gaul the song instrumentally has a lot of cool stuff going on. It opens with a great riff and does some awesome production decisions like the “spoken word” intro and the dial-up tone at;


“I know I just crucified someone on the internet for the same shit last week.”


“Leap Year” closes this thing out and is a pretty cool rock song with neat decision making though outside of the intro to the track nothing too mind blowing. The real crazy shit here is in the lyrics;


“I see my past self standing in front of me it’s back like a leap year, at nineteen I didn’t think I’d make it to twenty-three but I’m happy to be here.”


Call me stupid but it took till really digging into this EP to understand just how next level that line is. Nineteen plus four for the leap year is twenty-three and that blew my mind when it hit me. If I were to pick a genre this ascribes to I’d say this could be on alternative radio in the 90s or even 2000s and be right at home.


Before hearing this I hadn’t heard much Heart Attack Man and this hooked me right in as a fan. It’s the things Eric is willing to say that no other band would really be up to the task of doing. As a band you can tell this band is a huge fan of a lot of shit and writing music makes them happy as every song is an experiment where the assignment is “pick a genre and go.” An assignment that I think Hammy absolutely pulls off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year