Last week in music, 10/10/21 - 10/16/21


FINNEAS - Optimist (Interscope)

Finneas has of course come up and become known through the Billie Eilish production. I haven’t really seen much discussion around this record or its singles and I think where it falls short is that he rides that production too much. Don’t get me wrong there songs sound his own, but there’s plenty of moments that were done on Happier Than Ever and it makes it really hard to enjoy an otherwise pretty good pop album.


Ice Nine Kills - Welcome to Horrorwood: The Silver Scream 2 (Fearless)

This is abysmal. I’m hoping to have some more full thoughts out soon but I wanted to mention it here. My biggest issue is track after track INK gets so close to a really strong release but take it away just when you’ve become immersed. I understand they have their fans but they keep digging themselves deeper into a hole but getting better at writing an instrumental. It’s a really hard pull in opposite directions.



Remi Wolf - Juno (Island)

Was really looking forward to this based on the singles and while I have listened to and enjoyed the record a lot this week I feel like it has its little flaws. The flow of the record feels more like a playlist as opposed to a focused project and while that doesn’t take away from it necessarily I feel I should point it out. Otherwise great performances and wacked out production.



This Wild Life - Ever Blossom

If you liked This Wild Life in the past you’ll like their new effort. Nothing has really changed it’s sad acoustic rock with a tinge of hope.


Zack Fox - shut the fuck up talking to me


Census - A Virgil for the Living (Adventure Cat)


Knocked Loose - A Tear in the Fabric of Life (Pure Noise)


Most anticipated of the week: Every Time I Die - Radical (Epitaph)


Other tracks

Amarionette - Forgot About Sad Dre (acoustic ver.)

Black Country, New Road - Chaos Space Marine (Ninja Tune)

Breathe Carolina / SMACK - Get Back (feat. TITUS, SpinninRecords.com)

Dorian Electra - Iron Fist (Alice Glass remix, feat. Faris Badwin)

downcast - hell

Evelyn Gray - Cement Mixer

I Fight Dragons - Chain Wallet Rock

K.Flay - Nothing Can Kill Us (BMG)

Pollyanna - Monster (I Surrender)

Palaye Royale - Paranoid (Sumerian)

Save Face - Sharpen Your Teeth (Epitaph)

Siamese - Holy (Long Branch)

Snarls - I’ll Follow You (Take This to Heart)

Taking Back Sunday - My Name is Jonas (Weezer cover, Photo Finish)

Zeal & Ardor - Gotterdammerung

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year