Last Week in Music, 8/29/21 - 9/4/21

Blind Equation - LIFE IS PAIN

New record by “emotional cybergrind” act Blind Equation and this may be my take away of the week. I don’t want to equate this to 2010s crabcore cause that isn’t really correct but it’s a similar concept to explain in that it’s heavy music with electronic elements. As opposed to pounding riffs and smooth choruses though the songs are just brutal through and through backed by some straight-up synth riffs.


Shan Vincent de Paul - Made in Jaffna

The journey this record puts you through blew me away. It starts describing a truly dark place and in it wanting to give up on your passions and along the way you hear about successes, injustice, reaching out to former friends. Anice little surprise in the week.


New Found Glory - Forever and Ever X Infinity (Hopeless)

Last week I liked a Halsey record, this week I like a New Found Glory project, my entire life is on its head. In all seriousness, yes I am in no way a New Found Glory fan so when they were working toward a b-sides project I sort of just kept my eyes on the singles at a distance. In those though was the track “Backseat” that really won me over so I checked out the whole thing. This is really funny with a lot of highs and very little lows even at the daunting hour it sits at.



Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica (Universal)

At the time of Chromatica’s release last year I was heavily underwhelmed. Not a single thing stood out to me on that record and it stands that way even now because I have to be honest, I heard the originals a few times, but outside the remixes of singles I did not recall any moment on these. This new take on the record is acceptable, but still nothing major. I enjoyed Rina Sawayama and Clarence Clarity making “Free Woman” their own. I enjoyed the inputs of Pabllo Vittar and Dorian Electra. I even enjoyed that multi-producer “Sine from Above” EDM take. Other than those, though? I could leave this entire thing.


Next Week’s Most Anticipated: Sincere Engineer


Other Tracks

Bilmuri - LORDFARQUADZILLA (feat. Jonathan Young)

Empty - TEMPORARY HIGH (Solid State)

Eskimo Callboy - We Got the Moves (Century Media)

FINNEAS - The 90s (Interscope)

Hawthorne Heights - Thunder in Our Hearts (Pure Noise)

Hot Milk - Split Personality (Music for Nations)

Johari - The Genesis Tree (feat. Yurei, Bluedrake42 Limited Company)

Lower Definition - Talk About It

SHADED - Heartbroken People (ie:too)

Siamese - Numb (Long Branch)

Sleigh Bells - Justine Go Genesis (Mom+Pop)

Softcult - House of Mirrors (Easy Life)

The World is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - Queen Sophie for President (Epitaph)

Zeal & Ardor - Bow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year