Recommendation Corner (Sydney Sprague, Pollyanna, Cherie Amour)

 Week after week, I screen so much new music to present in my weekly Friday posts and in doing that I’ve found some of my favorite records and artists in general. For all my sources and efforts though I of course do miss some things since I can’t exactly hear everything in its initial week. So every week I make a short list of some things that can’t really make the post but I would like to hear anyway. So I thought I’d start this little inconsistent series (I’m thinking once a month.) of showing you one album, one EP and one single that maybe slipped by me in the current year and didn’t get to be part of the weekly post.


Earlier this year, I was able to watch day two of Good Noise Podcast’s twitch-hosted music festival. For two straight days they showed pre-recorded live sets by various artists and it was well picked not only in quality but I think there were five and under that I was even aware of. Two of the artists below were ones whose sets I did manage to see and they really left an impression on me.



Sydney Sprague - maybe i will see you at the end of the world (Rude Records)

This singer-songwriter from Phoenix, AZ is taking advantage of the twitch platform performing her own songs and various covers from a huge song list that goes on and on spanning several genres. She’s also been playing shows with a lot of big name bands like The Front Bottoms, All Time Low, she even has a video on performing on stage with The Maine. This is one that I expect will make some big waves and to be honest I’m surprised it took this long for me to have heard her name at all; it feels like she’s already winning a crowd over.


Her debut album “maybe i will see you at the end of the world” came out early this year and has just a wide palette as she seems to in terms of influences. This record plays with some 90s sounds that has been seeing a bit of a revival with lots of infectious tunes that you’ll find yourself singing along to all day. There is also very much the self-described “feel-bad” aspect that she’s promised in her bios. It’s the sort of record, for me, that while I enjoyed the first time I actually got more and more out of as time went on and I think it’s slowly but surely becoming a favorite.



Pollyanna - Sugar Coat

Okay so, technically this didn’t release this year but it was December of 2020 and most people make their top lists in late November (because they’re impatient) so I’m including this. This “genre neutral” three-piece from NJ is definitely one I’m happy I’m getting into so early with them only having two EPs released. In the case of most of these “rookie cards” you often hear things like how close a band is, how much potential they have if they only had the right producer, etc. Pollyanna is good enough to deserve massive recognition right here and now.


This EP has been jammed in my head since I listened to it for the first time and I do mean the entire thing. I see what they mean by genre neutral too. In just six tracks we are incredibly varied. We have moshable, scream-alongable pop punk tracks in “Don’t Stay, Don’t Go” and “Good for You.” There’s some emotional pieces in “IDKY,” “Grown Apart” and “Never Know.” Then “I Promise, I’m Lying” which is sort of akin to what a lot of DIY rock bands play around with sound wise there’s even a surf rock-esque riff in there. You would be doing yourself a disservice not checking this out as there’s something for everybody.



Cherie Amour - Orlando (Equal Vision Records)

This is a band that I’m shocked to see has so little of a following considering they’re on Equal Vision. Four-piece band from Baltimore, MD who only have two singles on streaming services so there isn’t much to consume but there’s a lot to look forward to. Their latest, “Orlando,” has a really compelling riff, some very interesting production and huge poppy emo chorus and it’s definitely not one you’re going to want to miss. The music video is also of a great quality as well you can tell a lot of care went into every aspect of this presentation. Wish I had more to say on this project but we’ll have to let them speak for themselves for a bit.


Check out all of the artists above at:

Sydney Sprague

Pollyanna

Cherie Amour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year