Last Week in Music, 5/30/21 - 6/4/21

Hello and welcome to this week in music! Each week I listen to tons of music from various artists, cached from a variety of sources. I compile things I think are worth mentioning, things I have enough of a comment on and present them to you here. I always encourage you to check out these releases for yourself to get your own feel for how you'll enjoy them and I want to know what you are listening to. First though, check out some of the releases from last week and my takes on them.


Albums


Atreyu - Baptize (Universal Music)
First Atreyu album without Alex Varkatzas. I have to say that Alex was right about the “fake heavy” thing when he departed. I think we all expected that to mean radio friendly rock songs (which there are plenty of, “Warrior” featuring Travis Barker should speak 100% for itself) but it’s more so taking what Atreyu is known for and making it sound like a parody of that. It sounds like a band whose only known top 40s success is attempting to write a metalcore record from just a descriptor. It’s a very strange listen.



Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee (Dead Oceans)

I don’t have much to comment on here aside from it’s a fun pop record, so here’s a little story. Pre-pandemic, my partner won tickets to see Japanese Breakfast at a local venue here in our city. We were going to not listen to any of their stuff as we weren’t familiar with it and wanted to be surprised. Clearly, that got canceled. Now that I’m hearing some music though we would have had fun I think.



Loveless - Loveless I

Wasn’t aware of this band before checking this out but I enjoyed the record. If you enjoyed that third generation of Emarose where they were more pop-oriented with a bit of post-hardcore influence still mixed in there this is going to be something that vibes with you.


EPs



Fuckin Whatever’s self-titled (Born Losers Records)

Heard a single off this weeks ago and had no idea it was such an allstar casted supergroup. Ben Homola of Grouplove, Adam Lazzara and John Nolan of Taking Back Sunday and Anthony Green of Circa Survive all of which seem like they would not come together but have here. I would say all four of them are pretty utilized so if you like those bands or even The Sounds of Animals Fighting which Green was in back in the day I’d recommend at least checking this out, has a similar vibe. It was apparently recorded using only mouth noises with percussion from various house hold items too as a fun fact.


Tracks


The Air I Breathe - Nothing Feels Sound

Never heard of this band but they appear to be a early 2010s Rise band from NJ who haven’t released music in 9 years? This track has some very good riff and guitar work overall but is sort of bland beyond that and feels like it drags even at that 4 minutes. Nice to see seemingly defunct acts return though and I hope fans have an album to look forward to.


Memphis May Fire - Blood & Water (Rise Records)

Memphis May Fire’s glorious return to being heavy or… whatever people are excited for. This track made the rounds over the weekend and it isn’t bad but it still has that same MMF issue to me. There’s no excitement or urgency here, the mosh call and breakdown feels forced. I’ve never been a fan in the first place and this certainly isn’t winning me over.


Sunrise Skater Kids - Still Posi (Chodezilla Records)

New Sunrise Skater Kids single, first one in a while and to be honest? It kind of goes! Has that same joke filled lyricism with a good ole pop punk beat. Also introduces the new vocalist who literally introduces himself by name toward the end. Hoping for the album by this year.


Wolf Alice - Play the Greatest Hits (RCA Records)

New full length album from Wolf Alice so go check out the whole thing if you’re interested. I wanted to point out this track though as it’s fast paced punk energy really hit me in the middle of an otherwise dream poppy low key record. Really fun track that I will definitely come back to.


Other Releases


Both Set it Off and BROCKHAMPTON released deluxe editions of their last records. Set it Off’s Midnight was released in 2019 and this new edition has 6 “new” tracks at the end which is just their 2020 singles and 3 acoustic renditions tacked on. I swear though, I don’t even think they used new recordings for those which is especially apparent in “Happy All the Time.” So I guess it isn’t really a new release at all. BROCKHAMPTON however released their album only months ago but it’s back with a 4 track longer version and a better album art. I think both are worth some time at least.


Other Tracks

Billie Eilish - Lost Cause (Darkroom / Interscope)

Internet Friends - Faked It

Jasiah - Art of War (feat. Denzel Curry & Rico Nasty)

Jessie Ware - Hot N Heavy (Universal Music)

Remi Wolf - Liz (Island Records)

tricot - INAI (AVEX ENTERTAINMENT)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year