Weekly Winners, 5/9/21 - 5/15/19

So it's been a little while since I've been able to write a Monday post, life has just gotten in the way. However I have been breezing through my listen lists lately and for good reason! While not as much content is being dropped compared to early in the year there's a lot more quality. My most anticipated album of the year is here and it's a banger! Plus some very noteworthy singles this week.


Galleons - Galleons (Famined Records)

If you follow these you know I’ve been highly anticipating this release as my potential album of the year and at this moment I fully believe it very well may be there. If you were a fan of the post-hardcore genre in the mid 2010s and enjoyed those bands somewhere between that and emo (Emarosa, The Color Morale, etc) you will love this. It’s a sound that I think was overplayed for a time but in its absence has left us all a bit hungry for it.




SeeYouSpaceCowboy.../If I Die First - A Sure Disaster (Pure Noise Records)

Speaking of hunger for a certain era, if you miss the heavy 2000s MySpace screamo era, this is a split for you. I know I probably don’t need to get too into it with how anticipated this really was but I was on the fence and this really got me on the full listen.



Chunk! No Captain Chunk - Bitter (Fearless Records)

In a turn of events I didn’t think I’d see, Captain Chunk is back. If you don’t remember these guys they are a French easycore band that was popular in that timeframe. Their last single was “Blame it on This Song” all the way back in 2016. (They’re even including it on the album!) If Attack Attack! or A Day to Remember really let you down this year and you’re hungry for a Warped Tour sound this song will get you where you want to be.



The Devil Wears Prada - Nightfall (Solid State Records)

So I posted about “Termination” and how, while I enjoyed it, it had a lot of red flags. This is a better song for sure but I’m still very skeptical of Zombie II which releases the day you’re reading this.



Hot Mulligan - Featuring Mark Hoppus

Hot Mulligan have released a new single from their EP I Won’t Reach Out to You coming this month. Much better track than the last which I was already enjoying. Does not feature Mark Hoppus, though he has now since responded to the meme and asked to be on a real Hot Mulligan track in the future so I’m sure “Not Featuring Mark Hoppus” will come out in 2022.


Other Tracks

Bella Poarch - Build a Bitch (Warner Records)

Carnifex - Seven Souls (Nuclear Blast)

Eskimo Callboy - Hypa Hypa (feat. Sasha, Century Media Records)

girl_irl - girlboss (feat. Gozling & Zhone)

Landon Tewers - Kill Me (acoustic, feat. Rory Rodriguez, Tribune Music)

Natalia Lafourcade - Tu Si Sabes Quererme (feat. Mare Adveflencia Lirika & Ruben Blades, Sony Music)

Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 you (Geffen Records)

Settle Your Scores - 1999 (Mutant League Records)

We Are the Union - Boys Will be Girls (Bad Time Records)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year