Weekly Winners, week of 4/6/21 - 4/10/21

 So, I really expected this week to be dead. I only had eight releases to sift through which is really low for what I’m usually able to find. That being said I’m happy to share three albums and an EP this week of course alongside a bunch of other songs. Hope you find something you like and as always I want to know what you’re listening to.

BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE (RCA Records)

I’m not really plugged into the circles that this group comes from online so I’m kind of struggling to write a blurb here. I know BROCKHAMPTON is known very well and while I have no prior experience with them I found this to be really good. I’m sure you’ve heard it already if interested.



Good Terms - Turning Point (Revival Recordings)

This is an Easycore album which you don’t hear a lot of lately. This is a really fun listen this week and I see myself going back to it throughout the year. There’s a song on this album called “Chess” that’s a short fast-paced more punk oriented song and that’s the track that really won me over.



Termina - Dysphoria

YouTuber Nick Nocturnal and vocal rising star Andy Cizek have teamed up for this metalcore record, which has a lot of references to time travel and things like that. May not be the greatest thing you hear all year but the talent between these two can’t really be ignored.


YUKIKA - timeabout, (UBUNTU ENT)

I’m not sure whether to call this J-Pop or K-Pop as it’s a Japanese artist based in Korea. Either way it’s very fun! There was a single called “Love Month” that I think I actually covered on a Weekly Winners when it came out that I really enjoyed and I really think this is worth your time.



AFI - Dulceria / Far Too Near (Rise Records)

AFI has been releasing these double singles in anticipation of their new album and they’ve been pretty worthwhile I feel. The first song is pretty long but has some really good basslines. The second is very catchy and has a really great middle section!



Black Veil Brides - Fields of Bone (Sumerian Records)

Not really a fan of BVB but when they come out with a single they always deliver with a catchy radio rock jam. Found it stuck in my head even off a few listens.


Extra Large Holiday Card - I Never Meant for This

Solo project of Hot Mulligan’s Chris Freeman released another single, the second this year, which is unusual for him since usually these come out about a year apart. This one even has a reprise of a Hot Mulligan lyric and melody so that was an exciting surprise this week!



Fit for a King / Silent Planet - Trilogy / Stockholm (Solid State Records)

These two bands, both pretty respectable in heavy music in their own right at this point, have covered each other's songs which is something I wish more artists would do if I’m being honest. “Trilogy” was a song I really liked from last year and while I don’t think there’s much of a new spin on either of these but it’s a cool little double single if you’re into heavy music.


Other Tracks

Ashe - I’m Fine (Mom+Pop)

Closure - With You

DARKSIDE - The Limit (Matador Records)

Japanese Breakfast - Posing in Bondage (Dead Oceans)

VCTMS - The Words ‘Best Friend’ Become Redefined (Chiodos cover)
We Were Sharks - Over This (Revival Recordings)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year