Weekly Winners, Week of 1/24/21 - 1/30/21

 As we start to get into mid-February the year is finally “starting” in terms of music. Each week is packed with releases! I listened through 11 releases and 36 singles to write this very post! Something special about this week is just how many artists who I expected to NOT enjoy who really floored me this week. Especially bands I thought were far past their prime.

Weezer - OK Human (Warner)

Last week I could not BELIEVE I liked “All My Favorite Songs” the lead single and opening track on this. Now I can’t believe I like this, a Weezer project in 2021. This isn’t the usual emo-pop-rock sound it’s more of a baroque pop record kind of in lieu of The Beatles. Also strangely makes for a great quarantine soundtrack despite the fact that it was written in 2019.


A Day to Remember - Live at the Audio Compound/Everything We Need (Fueled by Ramen)

Easycore legends in ADtR released this acoustic EP, it was live streamed on Monday and posted to streaming services by Friday. Wasn’t expecting to like anything other than maybe a single or two by the band this year but this really surprised me! Even the not-so-good songs from the upcoming record sound really nice in this stripped-down, almost country-esque performance. They even got Sierra Kay of Versa, Neaux and Bad Daughter to reprise her feature on “If it Means a Lot to You” which was a very nice and welcome surprise.

On the other hand the new single “Everything We Need” was also released in its studio version and it’s… still not looking good for You’re Welcome. We’ve already heard five tracks and only one of them has really been worth mentioning. Hoping in the context of a full length it sounds a bit better.

Landon Tewers - Frontal Lobe Submission (Tribune)

Landon Tewers of The Plot in You fame continues his solo strong with this EP. Haven’t been seeing the hype on many of his projects but I was really into this and can safely say I recommend it.


Brojob - WAP (Cardi B cover) (Hollowed Records)

Another one of these “Punk Goes Pop” like covers from Brojob. I have to wonder if this is leading to a covers EP or some kind of other project like that.


CORPSE - agoraphobic

Last year when I started listening to more and more stuff I started to kinda let go of not liking music cause of just ONE thing that bothers me about it. To kinda hear past the little flaws and look at the songwriting as a whole. This song is good, CORPSE’s vocals are rough as always, but the song is good.


Frances Forever - Space Girl (feat. chloe moriondo) (Mom+Pop)

Chloe is an artist I will always pay attention to even if the song isn’t hers. Such a talent at such a young age and I’m hoping her four singles thus far have been leading to an album. That being said, I don’t really know much about Frances Forever, this song seems to be a redo of one of their older songs and with the quality here maybe I’ll go back and dig more into their stuff.


King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - O.N.E.

This new King Gizzard song is certainly good, I don’t want to discount that, but I just wish they’d change it up a bit. We’ve had two whole albums and some-odd singles into this microtonal tuning and it’s starting to all blend together.


Papa Roach - Last Resort (Reloaded) (feat. Jeris Johnson) (300 Entertainment)

I’m going to be totally honest, I put this on here because I couldn’t believe it was listenable, let alone really good. The classic radio-hit-turned-meme track is remixed by a Tik Tok star of all things and it just turns out really good. Give it a listen, humor me.


SOPHIE - UNISIL (Numbers)

I was never much of a SOPHIE fan and maybe it’s because I didn’t appreciate that kind of music years ago because I thoroughly enjoyed this. I also want to take this section to honor SOPHIE and her passing. For a producer to unite people from all walks of life in music and to make so many fans feel celebrated is truly a special thing. Gone too soon and will be remembered and enjoyed as timeless I feel.


Other tracks

Anna Fox Rochinski - Cherry (Don Giovanni)

ATARASHII GAKKO! - NAINAINAI (88rising/12tone)

Brent Faiyaz - Gravity (feat. Tyler, the Creator) (Lost Kids)

Eternal Void - Crippling Thing (EV Records)

Happy Hour - What You Need

JPEGMAFIA - FIX URSELF! (UMG Recordings)

Rebecca Black - Girlfriend

Squid - Narrator (feat. Martha Skye Murphy)

Stick to Your Guns - Amber (acoustic ver.) (Pure Noise records)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of Month: The top 25 songs of the year

Best of Month; the Top 10 Albums of 2023

Best of Month: The final reviews of the year